Metrolink will be running a revised service from 2.30pm today and providing additional bus services to offer the best possible transport links for customers, following a fault with the points at Cornbrook.
Despite the initial expectation that a short network-wide shutdown would be required this morning to investigate the fault, engineers managed to maintain services on most lines, with only trams on the Eccles line needing to stop for a short period of time.
No root cause for the fault has been identified and further work will be carried out outside of normal operating hours.
Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) has worked with Metrolink to plan a revised service from 2.30pm today to ensure good transport links are in place for customers and events taking place across the network.
Tonight sees Manchester United take on Fenerbahce in a Europa League match at Old Trafford, while Justin Bieber plays the Manchester Arena.
The following Metrolink services will run until 2.30pm today:
- Bury – Etihad
- Ashton – Eccles via MediaCityUK. Metrolink tickets are also being accepted on the 33, 67 and 100 bus services.
- Altrincham – Piccadilly. Metrolink tickets are also being accepted on the 263 bus service.
- Bury – Altrincham (reduced service frequency)
- Rochdale – Exchange Square
- East Didsbury – Shaw & Crompton. Metrolink tickets are also being accepted on the 42 and 142 bus services.
- Airport – Cornbrook. Metrolink tickets can also be used on Northern Rail trains between Manchester Airport and Piccadilly Station.
From 2.30pm the following Metrolink services will run:
- Altrincham – Piccadilly (double trams)
- Altrincham – Bury (peak service until approximately 8pm)
- Bury – Etihad Campus (double trams )
- Eccles – MediaCityUK (no trams will operate beyond MCUK)
- East Didsbury – Shaw and Crompton (peak service until approximately 8pm, when services will terminate at Manchester Victoria as per normal timetable)
- East Didsbury – Deansgate-Castlefield (double trams until 8pm)
- Airport – Cornbrook
- Rochdale – Exchange Square
- Ashton - Piccadilly
In addition, shuttle buses will operate along the Eccles line this afternoon until end of service. This will be on an approximate 10-minute frequency between Piccadilly and MediaCityUK, calling at all stops except Piccadilly Gardens, St Peter’s Square and Pomona.
Customers using Metrolink replacement bus services from 2.30pm should purchase a ticket before boarding the bus from a machine on stop or via the get me there app.
Metrolink tickets are being accepted on the following commercial bus services for the rest of the day: 263, 42, 142, 33, 67 and 100.
For football fans heading to Old Trafford, bus services 250, 255, 256, 263 and X50 are all within walking distance of the ground and run to and from the main Piccadilly Gardens bus stops.
Rachel Spencer, TfGM Head of Metrolink Customer Service, said: “I’d like to apologise to customers for any inconvenience experienced today.
“We are working closely with the Metrolink operator, who is responsible for network maintenance and is investigating the nature of the fault, to ensure a speedy fix to the points fault impacting the Eccles junction at Cornbrook.
“In the meantime, we’ve looked at the best possible service we can run tonight to make sure people can get home, or out to events at Old Trafford and in the city.
“We’ll be running a strengthened Metrolink service, with more double trams on the Altrincham, East Didsbury and Bury lines, and shuttle buses along the Eccles line.
“Additional shuttle buses will complement the usual enhanced commercial bus services that operate on match days.
“I’d encourage customers to keep up to date by checking our website and Twitter feed and allow a little longer than normal for their journey today.”
For information on public transport across Greater Manchester visit www.tfgm.com, call 0161 244 1000 (7am-8pm, Monday to Friday, and 8am-8pm at weekends and bank holidays) or follow @OfficialTfGM on Twitter.